In November we restarted Culture Club, which now meets four days a week and has a new teacher, Wendy. So far they have studied the subway system, idioms, holidays, culture shock, and small talk. Here are photos from a theater workshop with the Performance Project’s artists-in-residence, the Square:
And here they are touring the Transit Museum:
Giving Tuesday, the biggest giving day of the year, is Tuesday, December 3rd. While you are considering how to best give back to your community this year, consider University Settlement.
You may know that for over 130 years University Settlement has ensured that NYC residents have access to the resources and support they need to achieve healthy, stable, and remarkable lives.
But what you may not realize is that we work in collaboration with 700 colleagues to impact the lives of nearly 40,000 New Yorkers each year! On any given day, you can find our team:
- providing early childhood education and social-emotional support services to children ages 0-5
- running youth development and afterschool programming at 17 sites across NYC
- providing health and wellness activities for the aging and homebound seniors
- ensuring our community has access to clinical as well as in-home mental health care
- supporting families facing eviction to find housing stability
- helping our immigrant communities achieve English proficiency and secure gainful employment
- empowering emerging young artists to achieve their dreams
- driving forward a targeted advocacy effort to make this city a better place for us all
If you came by one of our 29 sites, you might catch us working in more festive gear but the holiday season does not slow down the important work we do each and every day.
We hope you’ll join us this Giving Tuesday and show NYC residents you’ve got their back by making a donation to University Settlement at universitysettlement.org/donate. Thank you for considering U.S.!
In an effort to reach as many people as possible, we’re now on Meetup.com, where you can find all our registration information. Just click on the image to join – and please share with friends!